Sunday, July 5, 2009

Stripping the Donor Car

My two oldest sons and I started to really take the donor car apart today. What I found was a bunch of rigged electrical and mechanical parts on this poor E21. First off, the stripping of the engine bay resulted in a fuse block that has about 5 jumpers on it. The first runs the auxiliary fan. This is because they removed the belt driven one. There is also a GM!!! radiator in this car, but that's not all! The hood was dented from the INSIDE. Why? Because the filler cap off this GM radiator was too high. They fixed that by literally warping the radiator (making it into a parallelogram to fit). No wonder this car was always overheating.

The coil was also rigged and who knows what else. This car was an electrical time-bomb just waiting to go off.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be listing this stuff on EBay for cheap, just to get rid of it and remove this car, piece by piece, from my backyard. Mechanical parts, body parts, anything that can be removed.

I bet I can salvage the rack-and-pinion unit from this car, but is it worth it? I also noticed after stripping some parts that the clutch pedal is now WAY up. Wonder what did that...

No comments:

Post a Comment