Thursday, July 23, 2009

EBay is the Devil: Part II

The restoration of the 320i is going slower and deeper than I wanted to, but I'm willing to stick it out to get a nice result. One evening while browsing the EBay site back in May, I spotted a 1982 323i (yes, the imported type) for sale. I thought: "wow, would I like to have that one." saw the price and moved on. Turns out the buyer of the car bailed on the seller and a couple of months later the car was returned for sale with a lowered reserve.


Well, now I've done it. I saw it back on the listing and followed it right up to about the end of the auction. Now, please understand the circumstances: 1) I was sleep deprived from awaiting the delivery of our #4 child, 2) the 320i restoration was taking much longer, 3) this was a car that I first saw and wrote off as unattainable.


I watched the auction and even started bidding in an attempt to find the reserve price. On the last day, I wound up accompaning my 3 year old to the doctor to check on a swing set injury he developed from the day before. The appointment was right when the auction ended and I missed the close. I figured that if it was meant to be, I would have won it. Sai la vie (sp??). It turned out that on my EBay message board was a second chance offer. DAMN IT!


So here's the latest addition to the garage. G-d help my wife! ;-)
A 1982 323i imported in 1983 with all the euro options. Jason at G. Stone Motors in VT has been most gratious in entertaining my questions and I will let everyone know the road trip details once we get there.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment