Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The "My cousin Vinnie" Method....

I revisited the 320 today and talked with my mechanic. I told him about my question as to whether the car had an LSD and my plans for finding out. "Hey, todays the perfect day for it. The whole lot is covered in ice. Just do some burnouts.."

Well, I determined the following:
1) that when the car is in gear, the two wheels spin. The right (passenger) wheel appears to kick in first and then the driver's side one follows quickly afterwards. And,
2) The car does not stay in place on any surface with one wheel spinning. A situation which was ripe for happening since I was parked on an "water-soaked ice rink".


This leaves me more confused as to whether this car is really a 320is or just a 320i with options/ mods installed. The toolkit is from 320i, I can't imagine someone taking the bigger one out and putting a small one in.

The photo on the left clearly shows the two tracks left after the car dug past the ice and into the gravel below. If this wasn't an LSD, we would see only one track (since the other tire would just roll and not kick up dirt). Wow! Really glad I didn't get crazy on EBay with that LSD for sale. $475.00 still in my pocket!

As a parting shot, I'd like to include a picture of the back window. There's nothing like having a sticker from the Bulgarian BMW Club on your car! This one's staying...




No comments:

Post a Comment