Saturday, January 10, 2009

Donor Car or Sell it Whole

I took another look at the E21 resting in my garage and ran down a list of what I'd want to fix on it prior to selling it to anyone. Thermostat (overheats, the previous owner rewired the fan to run constantly) fix fan switch, new battery pan (a bungie cord and cardboard just doesn't seem right to me), accelerator pedal (that was missing???), fixing the "just new" break job, plugging the holes in the exhaust system, and putting back things I took off the beast to start the bodywork in the first place.
Sell or cannibalize? The M10 has got only 136K on it! A new set of gaskets, valve adjustment, and a clean up and it would run even better. At the time I bought it, I knew the a/c was stripped out and other items were changed. Now that I might put it back on the market to sell I can't put my mind around how I would really want to do this. My better half has already made clear that a garage full of E21's will not be acceptable. I can deal with that. I don't want it looking like a salvage yard. It just irks me that the parts I'd want off this first E21 would make selling it just about impossible. I even thought of just stripping it, palletizing the engine/transmission and cutting up the rest for scrap metal.

I figure that if I repair what I feel needs to be done to this one, I'll be into it for over $400.00 in parts. Good luck getting any return on that one and don't even count the labor. Yeah, I'll just sell this to someone for next to nothing and still get a hassle because of all that's not working on it.
Calling anyone who just wants a decent donor car! Considering all offers! You haul it away!

No comments:

Post a Comment