Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Euro vs. US details

Oh, those little annoyances you find about what's different with US 320's leave you debating what's the best option. Jerod's E21 site (see the link on the right) is invaluable for the technical information needed for making those choices as to what will work on the conversion. "I just want this part, see it?" I'm thinking of contacting a UK shop and just have them order this plate frame. I can't find a source for this thing anywhere. The photo on the left is of an Alpina version.

Now, if you can't find what you are looking for what do you do?? I am seriously debating just buying a new rear euro body panel and welding it on. Walloth und Netsch have the panel (just that it appears to be only for the 1980 or prior year and that won't work too well for the taillights!). In a perfect world I'd just buy right year's panel, cut/weld and then have the spot for the license plate under the bumper. It looks as if the comprimise will be to clean up the existing panel and fabricate some new license plate frame that would simulate what would have been there.
Another search is for the instrumentation (prefer the 323 tach and speedo, fuel gauge in litres...) that LSD (my limited slip tryout left me still wondering if I have one or not) The start-up on the snow appears to show two tracks, but with a 25% lockup it's not easy to see. I need a witness outside the car.... The dashboard needs help. I see that there are dash covers, but how do these really look??? I'd hate to get one and have it look only slightly better than grandma's plastic couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment