Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Commencing with Refit....

I managed to install the new instruments this evening and test them out. I swapped out the speedo with one of similar mileage, but with the 120mph limit on it vs. the 85 mph joke of a speedo.



The steering wheel did not have to come off, as in the directions. You do have to be a bit dexterous to reach under and undo most of the electrical connectors and retaining knobs and be VERY careful lifting and turning the cluster up and sideways (right) past the wheel. Once I had the "original" cluster out, I realized that some patchwork has been done to it. It was missing one of red light windows and the top was all taped up. Instead of switching the entire cluster, I uninstalled my tach and put it into the replacement cluster and installed the new one. The important item is making sure that the speedos are close in mileage and the code on the back matches, so you have one with the same ratio. Uninstall and install happened in about 20 minutes. Now I just have to figure out why the lighting doesn't come on... always something.

I test drove the car up and down our driveway and managed to get it to just under 40mph before hitting the street. Yes, it's a pretty long driveway (220+ feet). Hey, can that be right? Great, now I'll have to test this speedo to make sure the LSD isn't throwing it off. Wait to hear about this one. Get on the highway and put it at 60mph and see if it takes 6 seconds to go 1/10 mile I guess. Or travel on the street at 30mph for 12 seconds and see if that's 528 feet... oh, the possibilities....

No comments:

Post a Comment