Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lunch hour mechanic

With the weather still not cooperating, I spend about 1/2 an hour with lunch and then the next 1/2 hour just trying to get familiar with the '80 323i. The dash has been wiped down (not a crack in it!!) and cleaned. The headlamp switch is shot and totally frozen up, so Ebay and $15 bucks later one is being shipped to me.

Today's break was spent crawling around the backseat (still the catty smell, but it's dissapating) and pulled out the rear bench to get at the Kraftstoffbehalter und leitungen. Or for you non-deutsch speaking volk -- the fuel tank and lines. Specifically the fuel suction unit. That's my best bet at seeing what's in the gas tank and getting it out. I've got a 16 gallon wet/dry vac and there should only be about 3 gallons in the tank, plus who-knows-what-else!!

Anyone interested in knowing what 3 year-old gas looks like???

I also shopped PelicanParts and ordered a new oil filter (for a 1986 E30 325i), fuel filters for both cars, lots of new hose clamps (non-crimping type, I hate the crimping ones), 12v bulbs and the ever-important fuel suction O rings for resealing the tank once I have triumphed in removing and cleaning out the fuel tank.

More on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment