Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Valve Adjustment Road Trip and the Great White Ghost

On our 14 wedding anniversary I travelled with the family up to Exsten Auto works in Rochester, NY to get some knowledgeable repairwork done on the 323i. They performed a valve adjustment, performed the State inspection (passed! Ha! Ha! Look Ma, no catylictic converter!) and replaced the driver side mirror. THANK YOU! The car sounds much better now.

They don' t have a website but here is their contact info:
Exsten Autoworks
Phone : (585) 621-8200
78 Bennington Drive
Rochester, NY 14616

They are the best in the area for classic BMW work. The Genesee Valley BMWCCA members rave about them. I was very happy with thier service and would drive the 40 minutes out of the way to deal with them. They also have a measley 750 HP Chassis Dynomometer to test your mods. Now that's a serious shop.

The 323i behaved quite well on the highway and it is always a pleasure driving a car that can actually accelerate in 5th gear. That custom exhaust has to go. It's all you can hear at speed and I'm a "sleeper" fan, so the loud exhaust goes against my values in working on a car.

My two oldest travelled with me and the younger two went with Mommy. All were sick and the trip for Mommy was not so nice with crying baby and the tobbler (yes, that's an older toddler who doesn't toddle anymore...). We tried to spend time at the Science Museum, but had to skip out once #3 melted down.

This past weekend had me Ebaying the white E21's cross spoke wheel set for $40.00 plus shipping! Man, did that guy get the deal! I also started striping the car down and put the entire thing up on blocks. The whole underbody just crunched when I jacked it up. That's proof that the car was not worth working on: the entire unibody was shot. I'll be stripping out all the mechanicals from the car and that will be good practice for me when I retrieve the LSD from the red 320is. I'll post pics of the hillbilly'd 320i.

No comments:

Post a Comment