Monday, May 14, 2012

Why Have Just One? It works for most things.

When working with any air tool or blasting equipment the old challenge of "not enough air" comes up. You can go down to Lowe's or someplace like it and buy your way out of the problem or you can get a bit crazy and do what I did.

The one hurdle that I had after getting a big enough compressor was a big enough tank for not a lot of money. Solution: old propane tanks. Now, you may be concerned over safety and so am I. The last thing I need is a big bomb in my garage. So, get your tank from a reputable supplier and have it pressure tested. You also need to make sure you have a means to drain the tank of moisture. Easiest solution is to install the tanks upside down and have a drain valve. I went and tapped a new drain in the bottom. Also fill and drain water to get rid of any residual propane.

I prefer the 100 pound tanks, so called because they would hold approx. 100 pounds of propane. They are tall and take up very little room. The tank is about 16" in diameter and 48" tall, holding about 9600 cu. in. (5.6 cu. ft) of compressed air. That's about 42 gallons of air per tank, with the dual setup we're talking 84 gallons of 125 psi capacity!




No comments:

Post a Comment