Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Zipties? No Honey real men use welders....

...and then manage to have something else break. THEN they use zipties! 
I'll have to check my followers list because it seems my wife is dropping hints about my repair abilities. So, in the tradition of providing many opportunities for my better half to zing me I offer this up.

The exhaust system starting sounding like it did when those glass packs were on the car. A broken pipe? Yes and of course it's here....
Fellow E21 owners will spot this location near the rear subframe. Yeah, it's pretty well shot. It is just a matter of time if this area looks this bad. I got the car jacked up last night and started with the Dremel (wow, great $20 spent! Thanks Hon!) to get the rust off and have a good ground for the MIG.  While under there I found something else...
 That might have been the "pop" and "bang" I heard a few days ago when exiting the driveway. Rear sway bar bushing. So the cleaning was done and onto the welding in that tight spot. I didn't get it sealed 100% but it's not swinging free of the car. I covered it in zinc to keep the rust at bay for a while. Plugged a couple of other holes while in there.
 

To top off the repair was the failure of my Optima Red Top battery (I did properly ground the MIG!). A tripe this am to Tractor Supply for a new 84 month 770 CCA Exide battery (half the cost of a new Optima) did that trick.

I can just feel the eyes rolling! 




No comments:

Post a Comment