Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Road test for the 4.10 LSD

The 323i went out to a job site yesterday and I had the chance to try it out. The only concern I now have is that the rear diff "sings" a bit on the road. I may need to up the weight of the oil to compensate and I really hope it's not a sign that it's going to fail on me.

The LSD is certainly real. I parked on the grass and punched the accelerator to leave 2 tracks in the grass. The old one just left one track.

The speedo is within 3 mph of the real speed as tested by a conveniently-placed radar cart on Route 14! The sheriff that was parked nearby probably thought I was nuts doing a U-turn and coming back around to check the speed. I'm running 14" rims, so the speed could have been off because of that issue. The 320is had 13" rims on it.
One thing that I didn't mention was the importance of following the recommendation of DISSCONECTING THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY before doing any instrument panel work. I did not do this and had to reinstall everything again with the reset of the disconnected battery. Otherwise the clock and other instruments just didn't work as they should. All is back to normal now.

No comments:

Post a Comment