Sunday, October 25, 2009

In goes the diff and more....

After a few weeks of waiting, the shop I use for all our cars helped install the 320is's rear diff and speedometer. The owner of the 320is contacted me and I had to tell him the news that the car fell victim to the "tinworm". I managed to salvage the rear diff and speedo as a last effort to save what I could. Now the 3.91 LSD and the speedo are in the 323i.

The photo shows the old rear differential that is now in the trunk of my toyota. The shot shows the rusty rear diff with a liberal amount of PB Blaster on it! I also got a good luck at the other project that I will eventually tackle : the exhaust system. The 323i has the stock exhaust headers (cast iron), a BOSAL resonator and some very small "who know's what" right behind the tailpipes. The lift helped show any rust and it's good to know very little is showing. I did see that someone did "ride the rails" on the frame at some time.
It's great to see the nearly-complete lack of rust on the frame and floor pans. The shop I use has a mechanic that's developed a great rust treatment that he sprays on and it seals the spot so well against oxygen that it basically stops the rust and you can scrub off the remaining rust in a few months and re-apply the treatment to prevent any further rust.
Readers will receive an update once I've managed to run the 323i on the highway to see how the new rear end and speedo behaves. I have to visit a job site on Keuka Lake tomorrow morning. Let you know what happens....


No comments:

Post a Comment