Monday, September 3, 2012

Taking the parts apart....

It's been a slow project this summer. Starting out with retrieval of "Trixie" early this Summer due to my mechanic client just getting sick of storing all my ill-gotten-booty in his yard -- to soaking all the parts in PB Blaster and Liquid Mechanic so I have at least a chance of not snapping any bolts. Up to now I have reinstalled the sandblasting system and cleaned up the rear calipers and front subframe. The last week or so has involved taking the rear subframe apart for cleaning and fixing. All the rubber parts are shot and need replacement but that should be done on a 30+ year old system. Calling Jester!





Last night I began pulling off the rear control arms and succeeded in pulling out the flanges from the rear differential! I guess I found a new way to pull those out! The bolts holding the rear diff will just need to be cut off since the heads are so corroded. The rear differential has been confirmed as a 3.45 lsd so that is great news for the upgrade!

I'll be selling some of my stock of parts to finance the upgrades. Guess I'll have to go through the garage again and start posting things in FleaBay.

UPdate: I spent some time last evening using the grinder to cut the bolts off the differential. Wow! What a job! As you can see from the last photo, the front long bolts have decided to stay on. It will take some persuasion to remove them but the main sub frame is free to be cleaned off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment