Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Holy Hella, Batman!

I just spent an hour in the mosquito-infested outdoors swapping some of the 320 parts to the 323. The list is : the H4 and E1 Hella euro headlights, Ubercable and RedTop Optima battery. No time to do the euro signal swap tonight. The flat faces of the Hellas look much better than the round faced "halogen" ones. Those just say "halogen" on them, nothing else. No brand or anything.

The one issue was over the relay. I had one and a spare along with the replacement for what should have been an easy fix. As you may recall, the high beams did NOT work on the trip back. Well, for some reason that I can't figure, the 323's relay socket has the center pin missing/blocked out. You can't use the US relay in the euro fuse bus. I had a spare one and swapped it in, but it didn't seem to do the trick. Puzzled, I left it alone and put everything else back together. I hopped back in the car and started it up (definite difference with the new Optima and Ubercable assist) and low and behold I see a blinding light! All I could think was that the H4's were REALLY bright (dumb***). Turns out that with the engine running the high beams worked. It may be a wiring difference with euro versions, but it works fine now. Now I can't remember if I left the relay in.... I'll look tomorrow.

With the new headlights I'll have to check the alignment to ensure I won't blind anyone. The outer lights have the older bulbs and the highs have new Sylvania bulbs in them and they are definitely whiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment