Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Almost done with the Front....

It's been a particulary interesting effort to strip and find as much of that rust as possible. I decided to remove the remaining a/c parts as the compressor was not there. The condensor was easy enough to remove, but all the piping was seized up and I had to resort to breaking it. Now I have room to install the turbo... The rust treatment on the wing panel areas is done and the areas are now primed (zinc) coated with paint and then coated with rubberized undercoating. That should help for next few years.

I have managed to locate a battery relocation kit and K&N air filter retrofit kit, so that will go in once the rebuilding starts. Right now, I have the parts to cut out and install the new sills and front wing panels. I am debating about getting a new air dam (the "while I'm here" syndrome) and trashing the bent existing one. The company that supplies this package is located at: http://www.racetep.com/e21.html
This is for the E21 fans. They also do engine rebuilds/ modifications. Temping, very temping. Okay, back to the rust I mean bodywork...


The car looks like a complete horror with the bonnet removed, side wing panels stripped off and the entire headlight, air dam and other parts removed. I also purchased a new compressor to run the air tools which are so vital to working on the car. Forget drills with stripping wheels! A good air grinder makes fast work on any rust. I was going deaf with the small compressor and I searched high and low on Craigslist (TM) to find a used one. The prices drove me to just buy new and have the warranty in case.

I also ordered a new power antenna for the refurbished radio. I'll let you know how that works out when it comes in. I have to have all these items in and correctly installed prior to close up of the front end.

The battery relocation and new air intake should really help things up front. Then it's tackling the rust UNDER the car.... not looking forward to that, but it has to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment