Friday, December 26, 2008

Starting Out..... again

Well, the restart of my mid-life hobby hit a bit of a snag when I picked up a local 320i and after really evaluating the condition of the car, decided that there had to be another in better shape out there. I had owned an E30 a few years ago and despite the cost of rebuilding that one I did like working on it.

This time I promised that I would do things without rushing, keep the costs down and be realistic in balancing what I wanted vs. what really worked for the car. The E21 is easy to work on and most of the parts are inexpensive. New and used parts are pretty easy to come by. It's the challenge of what you're image of the "real E21" that gets you into trouble.

Would I want a 323? Sure. Do I like the looks of the euro version over the US version? Absolutely. I lucked out getting this one (my second) from an owner in Michigan that did some conversion work (bumpers, signals, lamps, etc.) on a US sport version of the 320i.

Right now, I am in the process of collecting background info on the model. Things like the REAL shop manuals (not the Haines kind) from BMW, photos of euro models, old brochures, etc. in an effort to get a clear picture of what the car would have (could have??) looked like.

This site is being posted for any E21 owners that need the same information I am looking for. It won't be a forum site for technical information or DIY tips, just what I find and what I am doing to this car to make it a bit more of what I think the E21 should be.

Thanks for checking the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment